Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: N-501-8b Inductors

  1. #21
    Inactive Member dread64's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2006
    Posts
    62
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    GM,

    Looks like I found a good match for my speakers.
    I'm running 902Ts (Yes, they have loading caps.),
    416-8b in an A7 cabinet. Currently using the 1285 crossover, bought the N500s because I like the 500hz setting, but wanted to an x-over that didn't have all of the unnecessary stuff on it.
    Figured--With fresh caps and coils,(And slightly higher quality parts.)it would be a sweet set-up.

    Marty,
    I had already purchased 2.7MH coils before the 2.7 vs. 3.6 MH question arose. So, I figure I'll try them. If they don't work out, i'll put the old coils back in.
    At any rate, I'm thinking that your meter is working properly, and it will all work out just fine. Bada-Bing!

    You Guys are Awesome, and I appreciate all of your effort! It was above and beyond.

    Salut!
    Dave


    forums

  2. #22
    Inactive Member dread64's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2006
    Posts
    62
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    GM

    Yep, that's right, four caps per channel. and two inductors. These are currently out of the cabinet. The guy I bought them from said they came from a set of A7s. And that's what I'll be installing them in when the work is done.

    There is also a 15,5, and two 3.9 ohm resistors
    in the circuit.

    Dave

  3. #23
    Inactive Member dread64's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2006
    Posts
    62
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    GM,

    The guy also had a pair of 416-8b woofers, and 902 HF drivers for sale. But I don't know if they came from the same cabinets. I'm assuming so.

    Dave

  4. #24
    Inactive Member dread64's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2006
    Posts
    62
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    GM

    And that part number on the inductors Marty stated is correct also.

    Dave

  5. #25
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    $%^&*()_ Altec in their later years! -A, -B, etc., are minor revisions to existing designs, not for designating completely new ones!

    Ok, thanks, without a schematic I can only guess as to what they did, and sorry for the mis-information/false on-set of 'buyer's remorse'.

    GM

  6. #26
    Senior Hostboard Member martyh45's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 13th, 2004
    Posts
    337
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    GM,
    Sorry, I don?t recall if the drivers were T versions or not. The 8500 was user selectable 800 or 500 Hz. I?m not sure if they had selectable CD EQ like the 1285 though.

    Dave,
    If you want to experiment, you could series in some 1mH coils. Just make sure they don?t magnetically couple or it will throw off the value. Use the same orientation you would with any other pair of coils. The first thing I would try though is bumping the 28uF caps a bit. I think the 416 should be near its minimum impedance at 500 Hz, if it dips to 6 ohms another 10uF would get you a textbook 2nd order with the 2.7 mH coils. More or less what they were aiming for when the ignored the fact that speakers don?t have a constant impedance.

  7. #27
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    Thanks! Apparently not: http://tinyurl.com/2g79ug

    GM

  8. #28
    Inactive Member dread64's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2006
    Posts
    62
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Marty,

    Thanks for the info/advice, it will go to good use.

    Dave

  9. #29
    Inactive Member Tenorman's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2006
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You did not screw up ordering the 2.7 mH inductors. The 2.7 mH ind (for both inductors) + 28 uf cap will give a Butterworth crossover at 580 hz.

    That's good, gets the crossover up above the 511b's cutoff.

  10. #30
    Inactive Member dread64's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2006
    Posts
    62
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    All,

    I've finished this little project using Jantzen coils and caps. The 2.7mH coils seem to have worked out just fine. The only problem I've encountered is what I believe to be a weak solder joint in the left channel bass section. I will be slaying this dragon tomorrow. At any rate, when the bass isn't cutting in and out in the left speaker, the sound is way better than it was with the stock 1285 x-overs. So in my opinion the effort was well worth it. Once I've trouble shot the intermittance issue, it should be heaven.

    Dave

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.